Each decade of life brings with it its own anti-aging concerns. Many times my patients come to me starting in their 40s as they begin to notice changes in their skin, looking for solutions. The good news is there are certainly some things you can do at home to create real change in your skin over time.
1. Add in a retinoid if you haven’t already. Retinoids, an overarching term encompassing both over-the-counter retinol and prescription strength medications such as tretinoin, are the gold standard in anti-aging skin care. The regular and long-term use of retinol increases cell-turnover, improves fine lines and wrinkles, pigmentation and even acne. This ingredient is a MUST in your anti-aging regimen but there can be adjustment period.
2. Wear SPF EVERY SINGLE DAY. If you’re going to be working towards improving your skin, the daily UV exposure you’re subjected to (yes even if you don’t leave your house) will negate all your hard work. Use a tinted sunscreen every single day to protect your skin from aging and pigmentation! Here are a few of my favorites that can be worn under or in place of your makeup!
3. Incorporate active acids. Now is a great time to start adding in some “peeling” agents to your regimen to reap the benefits of exfoliation including brighter skin tone and improved texture! Start slow when incorporating these active products (start once a week and increase to 1-3 times per week) and use your SPF daily!
4. It may be time for a new moisturizer. As we get older and our hormones change so do the natural levels of sebum or oil in our skin. You may find that your skin is drier than in the past and you need to adjust your regimen to include something more moisturizing. Below are a couple of my favorite everyday moisturizers for dry skin both AM and PM.
5. Make an appointment to see a professional. Now is the time to make an appointment with your Dermatology provider to discuss in-office procedures that can increase collagen production such as microneedling and other devices as well as injectables to reduce the appearance of lines and correct volume loss. In the right hands you should absolutely still look natural and like yourself, just more refreshed!
Amy is a Cosmetic Dermatology PA and skin care enthusiast living and practicing in Miami, FL. To connect with her or to see her in office or virtually for a consultation, contact her via her instagram @the_skinthusiast